Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Why make that stuff you cook on the stove when you can throw together your own? It looks like a lot of ingredients and steps, but it's very easy to put together. This can be prepared early in the day to bake later. I use my homemade bread in this and not the stuff you can buy already prepared and seasoned. I have indicated some ingredients as 'optional' as some people may not like them. This makes enough for two people plus leftovers. Can easily be increased to serve more hungry mouths!
- 3 cups bread cubes (from day old bread)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 apple
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 fresh sage leaves (or 1 tsp. dried)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley (or 1 Tbsp. dried)
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon raisins (optional)
- 4 dried apricots, chopped (optional)
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, chopped (optional)
- 1 cup chicken broth (may need more or less)
- Tip bread cubes into a large bowl and set aside.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium heat.
- While pan is heating, peel and chop onion.
- Add butter to pan, let melt a bit, then add onions.
- While onions are cooking, chop celery and add to pan.
- Core, peel and chop apple and add that to the pan with the onions and celery.
- Now preheat your oven to 180C/350°F.
- Add bay leaves, sage, parsley and thyme and stir around.
- Stir in raisins, apricots and walnuts, if using.
- While the mixture is cooking, butter the bottom and sides of a medium baking dish. (I use a 4-cup Pyrex oval glass pie dish).
- Let mixture cook about 2-3 more minutes until tender.
- Transfer mixture to bowl with bread cubes and mix thoroughly.
- Add half of the broth and stir, adding more broth as necessary until mixture is very moist, but not mushy.
- Transfer to buttered baking dish.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, stirring every 10-15 minutes until top is light golden brown.
- If not baking until later, cover with cling film and chill. Remove from fridge about 30-45 minutes prior to baking.
Great and simple stuffing recipe! I really love Stove Top boxed stuffing, but this was so easy to make! DH claims it needs more spices. I did add garlic to this. I used only the raisins of the optional ingredients.