Recipe by CulinaryQueen
Why make that stuff you cook on the stove when you can throw together your own? It looks like a lot of ingredients and steps, but it's very easy to put together. This can be prepared early in the day to bake later. I use my homemade bread in this and not the stuff you can buy already prepared and seasoned. I have indicated some ingredients as 'optional' as some people may not like them. This makes enough for two people plus leftovers. Can easily be increased to serve more hungry mouths!
Top Review by Sam #3
Great and simple stuffing recipe! I really love Stove Top boxed stuffing, but this was so easy to make! DH claims it needs more spices. I did add garlic to this. I used only the raisins of the optional ingredients.
- 3 cups bread cubes (from day old bread)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 apple
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 fresh sage leaves (or 1 tsp. dried)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley (or 1 Tbsp. dried)
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon raisins (optional)
- 4 dried apricots, chopped (optional)
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, chopped (optional)
- 1 cup chicken broth (may need more or less)
Directions See How It's Made
- Tip bread cubes into a large bowl and set aside.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium heat.
- While pan is heating, peel and chop onion.
- Add butter to pan, let melt a bit, then add onions.
- While onions are cooking, chop celery and add to pan.
- Core, peel and chop apple and add that to the pan with the onions and celery.
- Now preheat your oven to 180C/350°F.
- Add bay leaves, sage, parsley and thyme and stir around.
- Stir in raisins, apricots and walnuts, if using.
- While the mixture is cooking, butter the bottom and sides of a medium baking dish. (I use a 4-cup Pyrex oval glass pie dish).
- Let mixture cook about 2-3 more minutes until tender.
- Transfer mixture to bowl with bread cubes and mix thoroughly.
- Add half of the broth and stir, adding more broth as necessary until mixture is very moist, but not mushy.
- Transfer to buttered baking dish.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, stirring every 10-15 minutes until top is light golden brown.
- If not baking until later, cover with cling film and chill. Remove from fridge about 30-45 minutes prior to baking.