Recipe by Sweetiebarbara
Easy, two dressings, a crowd pleaser. This is for a roast turkey, the skin will be crisp and golden. I have found that putting a lid on the roaster gives me more of a steamed turkey, still good, and if you take the lid off near the end of cooking you can also get it to brown. Just depends on your preference.
- 16 lbs whole turkey
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt (or more, if you wish)
- 2 ounces turkey fat
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse turkey inside and out with water and pat dry.
- Sprinkle salt into cavity and on bird.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Remove the wishbone (optional) for easier carving.
- Stuff neck cavity with dressing, fold skin under and secure with skewer.
- Fold wings back.
- Stuff main cavity 3/4 full with dressing, trussing optional.
- I make a "sling" from bakers twine for lifting the bird.
- Place bird on rack, on top of sling, into roasting pan.
- Rub bird with oil, and sprinkle with salt.
- put fat on top of breast.
- Put bird in oven and reduce heat to 350°F.
- Bake 20-25 minutes per pound (15-20 if unstuffed).
- Cover breast with small clean cloth (cheese cloth) after first hour of cooking.
- If bird is getting too brown, cover very loosely with small amount of foil. (to keep it from steaming).
- Baste, after the first hour with the fat drippings in the pan, about every 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven when done and place on platter to rest (20-30 minutes).
- Make gravy (or not).I use Recipe #200005.