Recipe by Swan Valley Tammi
This is another recipe that comes from my best friend -- who also put it in our church cookbook. It's the only way I ever make strawberry or peach/nectarine pie, because it's about as simple as it gets, especially if you have pre-made crusts on hand. I find if I use bought crusts, I can't quite get two pies out of this recipe, but I usually have leftover sauce. I use baby food jars and put some berries or peaches/nectarines on the bottom topped with the remaining sauce as a treat for my little girls. I sometimes add a layer of cream cheese to the pie, under the berries or peaches, for that little something extra -- and of course, don't skimp on the sweetened whipped cream on top! (According to my dad, whipping cream's not a garnish, it's just as important as the dessert itself!!) Cooking time is refrigeration time.
- 1 (9 -10 inch) pre-baked pie crusts
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 (3 ounce) package strawberry gelatin (depending on which fruit you're using) or 1 (3 ounce) package peach gelatin (depending on which fruit you're using)
- strawberries or peaches or nectarine
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small saucepan, thorougly mix cornstarch together with sugar before adding water.
- Bring to a rolling boil and then remove from heat. Add gelatin, mix well and let cool about 20 minutes.
- Cut up fruit into pie shell. Pour warm sauce over top and refrigerate at least until set, about 1 hour.
- Serve with sweetened whipping cream.