Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another one of those days when I needed some stewed tomatoes, and had none. Came up with this and they turned out great. You can use as much or as little of the listed ingredients as desired along with the canned tomatoes. I simmer until the veggies are tender and the liquid is reduced and thick. Goes great over a pile of my Baked Mac & Cheese W/ Gouda and steamed broccoli.
- 15 ounces plain tomatoes, diced with juice
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup sweet bell pepper, diced, I prefer orange, yellow, red not green, amount to taste
- 1 stalk celery, with green tops sliced
- 1⁄2 small onion, diced
- 1 small bay leaf
- salt, to taste if using salt free canned tomatoes
- pepper, to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a small sauce pan.
- Simmer until desired tenderness and thickness of sauce, about 30 minutes or longer.
- Taste for additional seasonings.
- Remove bay leaf.