Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
A simple and tasty side dish when fresh green beans are plentiful. Prep time doesn't include time to prep the beans before steaming.
- 680.38-907.18 g fresh green beans (about 1 inch long)
- 29.58 ml butter or 29.58 ml margarine
- 4.92 ml olive oil
- kosher salt
- Prepare green beans by snapping them or cutting them to approx 1 inch in length and rinsing them.
- Over a pot of boiling water, steam beans for 15-20 minutes (until just tender with a little"bite" to them; Also, to steam I use a covered colander over a Dutch oven filled 1/4th full with water) Remove steamed beans and turn into a serving bowl.
- Add all of the rest of the ingredients, seasoning to taste.
Before this recipe, I would have told you I didn't like green beans. But I had never tried them steamed before. I liked these so much I ate all my green beans first!! LOL! I steamed them for 18 minutes. First, I drizzled the teaspoon of EVOO on them and tossed to coat. I then sprinkled about a teaspoon of brown sugar over them and some pepper, again tossing to coat. I learned the brown sugar trick from a restaurant chef and it is incredible. I know I'll be making these again!
So simple and delicious. I used frozen green beans and steamed them in a steamer basket for about 10 minutes then tossed with butter, seasoned with the salt and pepper. Made for PAC Spring 2012.
I steamed the beans in a glad steam bag and then added the other ingredients. We all enjoyed these.