Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
In 'The America's Test Kitchen Healthy Family Cookbook'. 300 calories, 8 g fat, 2 g fiber per muffin
- 2 cups cake flour (8 oz.)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (5 1/2 oz.)
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups low-fat sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Adjust oven rack to the middle position; preheat oven to 375°.
- Lightly coat a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk the cake flour, whole-wheat flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and allspice together in a bowl.
- In a bowl, beat the butter and 1 cup sugar together using an electric mixer on med-high speed until creamy and uniform, 3-6 minutes, scraping down the bowl as needed.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until combined, about 30 seconds.
- Beat in the vanilla until incorporated.
- Decrease mixer speed to low; beat in 1/3 of flour mixture, followed by half of the sour cream.
- Repeat with half of the remaining flour mixture and remaining sour cream.
- Beat in the remaining flour mixture just until incorporated (do not overmix).
- Using a 1/3-cup measure coated with cooking spray, portion the batter into each muffin cup.
- Sprinkle with the remaining tablespoon sugar.
- Bake until golden and a pick comes out with just a few crumbs attached, 25-30 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through baking.
- Let muffins cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then flip out onto a wire rack; cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- *Blueberry Muffins (any type of berry can be substituted for blueberries)-gently fold 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (do not thaw if frozen) into the batter (320 cal per muffin).
- *Orange-Cranberry Muffins-simmer 1 1/2 cup chopped dried cranberries and 2/3 cup orange juice together in a small saucepan over medium heat until the cranberries are soft and the juice is evaporated, about 5 minutes; cool to room temperature; add 2 teaspoons grated orange zest with the vanilla and gently fold the softened cranberries into the batter (360 cal per muffin).
- *Cherry-Almond Muffins-add 1/2 teaspoon almond extract with the vanilla and gently fold 1 1/2 cup drained, chopped jarred or canned cherries into the batter; sprinkle the muffins with 1/4 cup sliced almonds, in addition to the sugar, before baking (330 cal per muffin).