Recipe by D. Todd Miller
I love strawberry pie most any way it is prepared. Unlike many listed here, this version has no gelatin added. This recipe comes from the book "Sweet Tooth: Down-Home Meals & Blue Ribbon Desserts" by Sarah Ann Spaugh.
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 7 ounces lemon-lime flavored soda (I use 7-Up)
- 1 quart strawberry, cleaned and stems removed
- 2 drops red food coloring (optional)
- 1 pie shell, baked and cooled
- whipped topping (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a pot, blend sugar and cornstarch; add lemon-lime soda.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring until smooth and thick.
- Add strawberries, cook for a few minutes, and then add food coloring (if desired).
- Pour into baked and cooled pie shell.
- Chill for a few hours. Serve with whipped topping, if desired.