Prep 4 mins
Cook 10 mins
This meal is nutritious and easy to make on those nights you just don't have time to spend a lot of time cooking.
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 3 ounces frozen french fries (Alexia Oven Fries, their Olive Oil, Rosemary & Garlic variety)
- 1 cup fresh zucchini
- 1 ounce ground chuck
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- Spray a stainless steel cookie cooling rack with the olive oil spray. Lay the oven fries with space apart from each other on the rack. Place carefully in an oven to bake according to the package's directions. (I've found baking these on a cookie rack browns both sides very quickly - just be very careful when taking it in and out of the oven so they don't fall off.) Bake until edges on both sides are browned. If you're unable to find the Alexia Oven Fries (they're usually in the natural foods section), spray the fries with olive oil and coat with rosemary and garlic powder.
- While baking the oven fries, spray a skillet with the olive oil spray and cook the ground chuck (ground lamb, elk or buffalo's even better!).
- Before the meat's browned, add the zucchini (I cut them in half and then thinly slice in a food processor - you can widely shred it instead if you prefer but add it in when meat's almost browned instead).
- Cook the zucchini and meat mix until lightly browned. Set aside.
- When the potatoes are done, place the zucchini and meat mix on top the "bed" of potatoes.
- On the side of the plate, place the sour cream (kefir, greek or labneh yogurt is better!) as a "dip". You can mix the sour cream into the mix but I find it looses some of its flavor.
I modified this recipe quite a bit but stuck with the same concept. I used 1 bag Oreida Potatoes OBrien (potatoes with peppers and onion), made it according to package directions, browned 1 pond ground beef, added 2-3 cups julienned zucchini to the browned beef and cooked it just until tender. once those were both cooked, i layered the potatoes in a casserole then a layer of shredded cheddar cheese. On top of the potatoes and cheese i layered the beef and zucchini mixture. Topped it off with more cheese and baked in the 350 degree oven until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Sour cream on the side. Very good recipe base. Can be modified to your liking. but this is definitely a keeper. Thanks!!