Recipe by elmsyrup
A quick, easy recipe for a rustic crusty soda bread, using ingredients you can get from the late-night store if you don't already have them. No need to knead! From The Guardian newspaper. Serve hot with cheeses and condiments, or with a hearty stew.
Top Review by Andrea-Oz
Yum! And so easy. :) I used gluten-free SR flour and greek yoghut, and skipped the bicard and salt. I needed just a little water to thin the yogurt. I made it into 5 hand-sized rolls and they cooked in 35 mins. I love how they didn't flatten at all - difficult to get with gluten-free bread! I have a feeling none will make it past dinner. Thanks for a great recipe and easy-to-follow instructions. I can't wait to try it again with spinach & feta, and other variations.
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees centigrade.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, bicarb and salt.
- Add the yoghurt and combine with a spatula and then your hands. It will be messy and sticky. You will not get a smooth dough, just make sure everything is evenly mixed.
- Shape into a ball and place on a baking sheet that you might like to line with silicon paper (foil will stick to the bread, but an unlined sheet is fine).
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 45 minutes. Check a few minutes before the time is up to make sure it isn't overbrowned.
- Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before tearing/slicing it up.