1/3 Photos of Simple Sliced Tomato-And-Cheese Side Dish
This is so simple, it's hardly a recipe at all! This is nice as one of the sides with roast chicken. As time is sometimes too limited to stuff a tomato, try this quick dish. ANY cheese which melts well and does not go gluey will be fine. Calculate on 1 large tomato (fist-size or larger) per portion. This recipe is for 3 people.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 -6 large tomatoes, ripe
- 1 teaspoon dried basil (keeps its flavour slightly better than fresh)
- 1/2 teaspoon flaked sea salt (to taste)
- 4 -6 tablespoons tomato ketchup (made with real tomatoes)
- 4 ounces brie cheese (any flavoursome cheese which melts well) or 4 ounces camembert cheese (any flavoursome cheese which melts well)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, coarse (or more)
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 -6 tablespoons virgin olive oil (or more, if wanted)
- 3 -4 slices bread, pref. white, crusts cut off
- 1Heat oven to 350 deg F/180 deg C, or less for a fan/convection oven. Line a dish with baking paper to save on the washing up!
- 2Slice the tomatoes fairly thickly, and arrange one overlapping layer in the dish. Sprinkle with basil, sea salt and coarse black pepper. Drizzle over about 2 - 3 tablespoons ketchup. (This intensifies the tomato flavour).
- 3Slice the Brie (or any cheese you chose, but if using mozzarella consider more seasoning because mozz is so bland). Arrange the slices over the tomato slices.
- 4Add a 2nd layer of sliced tomatoes, and season like the previous layer.
- 5Add all leftover cheese, and use more if you like, and sprinkle with coarse black pepper to taste.
- 6Drizzle with olive oil. Slice the onion thinly and put rings and slices all over the dish.
- 7Now arrange the crustless bread slices over the tomato dish so that the top is completely covered. You may have to cut the bread slices to fit. Sprinkle liberally with olive oil.
- 8Bake the dish for about 20 - 25 minutes, until the bread topping is crisp and browned.
- 9Yes, tomato liquid will form in the bottom of the dish -- dip extra bread in it, or drink it with a spoon because it's delicious!
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Simple Sliced Tomato-And-Cheese Side Dish
Serving Size: 1 (285 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 431.3
- Calories from Fat 269
- Total Fat 29.9 g
- Saturated Fat 9.3 g
- Cholesterol 37.8 mg
- Sodium 602.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 13.7 g
- Protein 12.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
flaked sea salt