Recipe by Sue Lau
Just a nice simple cornbread that gets a delicious crust from the skillet. You can add pickled jalapenos for a nice change, or even a little garlic, but sometimes simple is best.
Top Review by ieatfoOOod
This cornbread was dry, dry, dry. I suggest adding extra milk. After it was cooked, it practically exploded into dry crumbs. If I do make this again, I will be adding more liquid.
- 2 -3 teaspoons bacon drippings
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 3⁄4 cups cornmeal
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Coat a 10-inch cast iron skillet with the bacon drippings.
- Place skillet in the oven to preheat.
- Mix together buttermilk, egg, cornmeal, 3/4 cup flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, stirring just until blended.
- Pour batter into the preheated skillet and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the top is nicely golden and firm.