Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Just a nice simple cornbread that gets a delicious crust from the skillet. You can add pickled jalapenos for a nice change, or even a little garlic, but sometimes simple is best.
- 2 -3 teaspoons bacon drippings
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 3⁄4 cups cornmeal
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Coat a 10-inch cast iron skillet with the bacon drippings.
- Place skillet in the oven to preheat.
- Mix together buttermilk, egg, cornmeal, 3/4 cup flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, stirring just until blended.
- Pour batter into the preheated skillet and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the top is nicely golden and firm.
This cornbread was dry, dry, dry. I suggest adding extra milk. After it was cooked, it practically exploded into dry crumbs. If I do make this again, I will be adding more liquid.
TASTY!!! Made in small cast iron skillet. crispy outside and light/fluffy inside; slathered wedges with real!!! butter. Yum! Thanks for posting,Sue.
First of all,I'm pleased to be the first one to rate this recipe. I made this on 6/17/07 to go with Recipe#47924.I followed all the steps,except I added about 1 1/2 tablespoons more of sugar.( I like my cornbread on the sweet side)My SO and I both enjoyed the very crispy crust that this had,although I did have to bake the cornbread for about a total of 30 minutes.Next time I make this,(and it will be made again :))I'll make cornbread muffins since there are only two of us.And then I'll freeze the rest for later meals.Thanks so much for posting. "Keep Smiling :)"