Recipe by s'kat
This hearty dinner is easy and replete with fresh mediterranean flavour. Altered from orginal, allrecipes.com.
Top Review by Vic1
I had a problem right off with this, which was not the recipe’s fault; that being that I used ice glazed chicken that had so much water, it tended to stew instead of browning. So I had to drain the chicken twice in the second step. (I used four ¼ lb breasts, and they just about filled the skillet.) Other than that I stayed on recipe. In step 5 when the tomatoes are added and brought to a boil, there was very little if any liquid to boil. There is a certain complexity here that I do not understand: why simmer the wine in step 6 for ten minutes and then add the thyme and basil for another 5 minutes? There were not enough ingredients to warrant 15 minutes of simmering. I would suggest simmering the wine for maybe 6 minutes and adding the thyme and basil just before the chicken is returned. I think this might help articulate the flavors a bit.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup diced red onion
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olive, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil and 2 tablespoons red wine in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add chicken and saute about 4 to 6 minutes each side, until golden.
- Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
- Saute garlic in pan drippings for 30 seconds, then add onion and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat, add 1/2 cup red wine and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add thyme and basil and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Return chicken to skillet: top with feta cheese and cover.
- Cook over low heat until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink inside.
- Add olives and parsley to the skillet and cook for 1 minute.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.