Recipe by Ridgely
Simple, easy and very tasty for when you are in the mood for jambalaya. My kids loved it! From Cook's Illustrated "Quick Recipe" Cookbook.
Top Review by rpmazur
This is a winner! Everybody loved it. The only change I made was using cilantro instead of parsley. I had some reservations about clam juice but it melted into the overall great flavor. Thanks for posting.
- 1 medium onion, chopped coarse
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped coarse
- 5 medium garlic cloves, chopped coarse
- 1 lb extra large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 lb andouille sausage, halved lengthwise and then cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain rice
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, briefly drained
- 2 (8 ounce) bottles clam juice
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a food processor, pulse the onion, red pepper and garlic until chopped very fine, ten to twelve 1-second pulses, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary; set aside.
- Season the shrimp with salt and hot pepper sauce to taste.
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium high heat until shimmering. Add the shrimp in a single layer and cook, without stirring, for 30 seconds. Using tongs, flip the shrimp and cook for another 30 seconds. Transfer the shrimp to a medium bowl and set aside.
- Add the sausage to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the sausage to a second bowl.
- Scrape the veggies from the food processor into the empty pot and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in the rice and continue to stir until the grains are coated with the fat, about 1 minute.
- Add the bay leaves, tomatoes, clam juice, and 1 cup water and bring to a boil.
- Stir in the sausage, cover, and reduce the heat to low.
- Cook until the rice is tender, 17 to 20 minutes.
- Off the heat, stir in the shrimp and parsley with a fork (do not mush the rice), cover the pot, and allow to sit for 2 minutes or until the shrimp is heated through.
- Discard the bay leaves and adjust the seasoning with salt and hot pepper sauce to taste. Serve immediately.