Recipe by Andy Wold
This is our family's version of Shepherd's Pie. Simple and quick to make, freezes well, and allows me to easily remove the cheese from my portion (and add to a grateful sibling's portion).
Top Review by littlepiglet
This was really good! It was my first time having sheppards pie and I loved it. My boyfriend suggested instead of using corn we use frozen peas and carrots which worked out good!. I cant wait to make this yummy dish again! Thanks Andy!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- ground black pepper
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- celery salt
- 2 cups frozen corn (or other vegetable favorites)
- 8 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare mashed potatoes as usual (we add milk and butter).
- Brown lean ground beef over medium heat, drain excess fat.
- Add tomato sauce and seasonings, simmer for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F (175C).
- Layer meat mixture in bottom of 9" x 13" casserole dish.
- Spread vegetable evenly over meat mixture.
- Spread mashed potatoes evenly over vegetable layer. (Should fill casserole dish to rim.)
- Sprinkle cheese over top, and bake until cheese begins to bubble on edges (about 30 minutes).