Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I've made this for years and my friends and family love it. It's such a hearty and easy meal to make. Leftovers are like a hug after a hard day of work. YUM! You need to flavor the meat, so you can use a taco seasoning packet, onion soup mix, or your own concoction). Here's an example... http://www.recipezaar.com/38756
- 6 cups instant mashed potatoes, Hungry Jack
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 small chopped onion
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 -2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup peas
- 2 cups corn
- 2 teaspoons spices (see notes above)
- Make instant potatoes according to box (12 servings = 6 cups) – set aside.
- Preheat oven 375 degrees.
- Sauté Onion in butter until clear.
- Brown ground beef until its crumbled and cooked thoroughly - drain fat if needed.
- Stir in spices with ½ cup water and cook for a few minutes (I use a taco seasoning packet, or whatever I have on hand).
- Spread a thin layer of potatoes on the bottom of a lasagna pan (this will hold the servings together).
- Next, spread a layer ground beef.
- Sprinkle cheese.
- Layer corn and peas.
- Top with the remaining potatoes.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until hot and golden brown.
This was so good! The reason I only gave 4 stars instead of 5 was because I made a couple small changes. I used real mashed potatoes, and I had green beans on hand in my freezer so I just used those instead of the peas and corn. Very good though I will definitely make again.
This was a great recipe! I did make a few adjustments though. I omitted the onion. And instead of adding in spices, I added some leftover taco meat from last night. (I also threw in a couple of other leftovers: 2 pork chops - minced and a bunch of brown beans) Instead of ground beef, I used sausage meat. I also used all corn. Despite all the changes, I still feel that I stayed true to the heart of the recipe. The method of this recipe is perfect! The tip about putting the thin layer of potatoes on the bottom is an AWESOME one! It worked just like you said. Thank you SO much for this. This is going to be our standard recipe from now on!