Recipe by kiwidutch
Between the teachings of my Grandmother, an Aunt, my Mother and several restaurants I learned a lot about serviette/ napkin folding. Here's a step-by-step instruction on how to make one of the easiest of them all.. Works well with cloth napkins, or larger paper ones. I have included step-by-step photographs to illustrate/suppliment the written directions. I learned this one at the Oasis Restaurant in the small town of Omarama, in New Zealand.
Directions See How It's Made
- Lay your serviette square out flat before you. Fold it in half horizontally.
- Take the serviette and fold it in half again vertically so that it is now a small square a quarter the size of the origonal square.
- Only one corner of the square will have 4 open / loose edges, rotate your square so that it is a flat diamond shape with the open corner pointing downwards. We will call this the South corner, and the top corner opposite North.
- Take one of the East corners and roll it under towards the middle of the serviette so that you have a roll about 2 inched (5 cm) wide.The other East corner is still laying flat completing the diamond shape behind this.
- Take the remaining East corner and fold it backwards about 1 inch ( 2.5 cm) above the first fold).
- Now fold the pinted sided towards the back, tucking them in and completing the serviette.
- Place on a plate with the smooth front side up.