Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I found this recipe a few years ago in a Robin Hood Baking Festival recipe booklet. Simple, one-step mixing which makes this cake is very light, has a wonderful taste and freezes well.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 (300 g) package unsweetened frozen blueberries, divided
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- Grease a 9" square cake pan.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, salt, eggs, milk, melted butter, lemon rind and juice.
- Blend at low speed until all ingredients ar moistened, then beat at medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Stir in 1 cup blueberries and spread evenly into the greased 9" square cake pan.
- Sprinkle remaining blueberries on top and then sprinkle 2 tablespoons sugar and almonds on top of blueberries.
- Bake at 350 for 55-65 minutes, cool on rack and serve warm or cold.
- Hint: when in season use fresh blueberries and check shorter baking time for doneness.