1/1 Photo of Simple Savory Mushroom Canapes
Very simple mushroom appetizer or snack. You can make these look more fun or festive by taking some cookie cutters to your bread slices! Low in fat also.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 loaf dense bread, of your choice (I love the Tuscan hearty loaf from Price Chopper)
- 16 ounces mushrooms
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon cream
- garlic salt (to taste)
- non stick butter-flavored cooking spray
- fresh chives (to garnish) (optional)
- mayonnaise (optional) or butter (optional) or cream cheese (optional)
- 1Slice your bread . Remove crust. Cut into squares or use cookie cutters to get fun shapes. Spray your skillet with non stick spray (or lightly coat with butter) Toast your breads on ONE side over low -med low heat till buttoms and golden brown.
- 2Cut your mushrooms up relatively small. Mince your onion. Saute in garlic till soft. Add a bit of garlic salt. Blend in your flour and cream. Mix well. Cook several minutes more.
- 3Now pile your mushrooms up in the center of your toasts. Serve right away. Garnish with fresh chopped chives, parsley or watercress sprigs if you like.
- 4My Grandmother always spread a tiny bit of mayo on each toast before adding any topping. I usually spread a bit of cream cheese or butter. All totally optional.
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Simple Savory Mushroom Canapes
Serving Size: 1 (53 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 28.9
- Calories from Fat 16
- Total Fat 1.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 4.7 mg
- Sodium 13.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 1.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: