Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
This is the dal recipe I've cooked for years. It's mildly spicy & compliments more firey Indian dishes. It's always best after a day or two. Prep time doesn't include soaking.
- 1 cup dried lentils, any color, any size
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric, ground
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, medium, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom, ground
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Soak lentils in water to cover for several hours or overnight. Drain.
- Bring lentils & 4 cups water to a boil in a saucepan & stir in salt & turmeric.
- Cover & simmer about 45 minutes or until lentils are tender (but not mushy.).
- Heat oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat & cook onion, cumin & cardamon, stirring, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic & cook, stirring, another minute.
- Stir onion mixture into lentils.
- Cook uncovered over low heat 30 minutes, stirring frequently.