Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Pure comfort food. I love a a good sausage and egg breakfast with all the trimmings. This casserole has all that combined in one tidy package. Yummy yummy!!!
- 1 lb breakfast sausage
- 10 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese or 8 ounces colby-monterey jack cheese
- 6 cups bread, cubed
- salt and pepper
optional add-in ideas
- sliced mushrooms (optional)
- chopped tomato (optional)
- chopped bell pepper (optional)
- green onion (optional)
- precooked potato, chunks (optional)
- green chili (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Cook the breakfast sausage as directed on the package. Crumble and drain.
- In a large bowl combine the eggs, milk, dry mustard, pepper, and salt. Mix thoroughly.
- Lay half the bread cubes in the bottom of a greased 9 x 13 casserole dish.
- Add half the cheese and sausage to the casserole dish along with half of any of the optional ingredients if desired.
- Repeat layer of bread, cheese, sausage, and optional ingredients if used.
- Pour egg mixture over the top of the casserole.
- Bake for about an hour or until eggs are set. Cover with foil if top browns too quickly.
This breakfast casserole is soooo good! We halved the recipe today and made it for lunch in an 8" baking dish. I had a leftover baguette that I used for the bread. My add-ins were baby bella mushrooms, green onion, and a little leftover diced tomatoes that needed using up. I used hot Italian sausage as that was what I also needed to use up. This was really good and I would definitely make it again. Thanks, Slatts!
The office devoured this, so it must be good! I halved the recipe and cooked in an 8X8 with great results. I used green onions as the additional ingredient. For ZWT.