Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is a pared-down version of san choy bau that is really easy to make but still very tasty. I like to serve mine with sesame noodles (one of my gf's favorites).
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground chicken
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) can water chestnuts, finely chopped
- 3 teaspoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 6 scallions
- 4 lettuce leaves
- oyster sauce, as topping, to taste (optional)
- Heat the oil in a wok or frying pan. Add chicken and garlic and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes, making sure to use a wooden spoon to break up any lumpy bits that form.
- Reduce the heat and drain any excess liquid, then add all of the remaining ingredients except the lettuce leaves.
- Trim the lettuce leaves to form a cup shape and divide the chicken mixture among them. Top with additional oyster sauce, to taste, if desired, and serve hot (with rice or, ideally, sesame noodles).