Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Official Contest Entry: Simply Potatoes 5Fix #SP5 These are wonderfully easy appetizers to make for a crowd, or a great side dish for any day. This recipe contains the basics, but you can change up spices and add other ingredients to suit your taste. Some especially great additions might be garlic, onions, ground coriander seeds, and green chilies. Delicious as they are, you might also enjoy a chili dipping sauce or chunky chutney.
- 1 cup vegetable oil, divided
- 1 (20 ounce) package Simply Potatoes Steakhouse Seasoned Diced Potatoes
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 12 egg roll wraps
- First, make your filling. Heat 1 Tb of the vegetable oil over medium-high heat in a wide, shallow skillet. Cook the diced potatoes according to the package's stovetop directions, stirring occasionally, until they begin to turn crispy and golden-brown. Sprinkle the curry powder over the cooked potatoes and transfer them to a large mixing bowl.
- Mash the cooked, seasoned potatoes lightly with a ricer or potato masher until they begin to break into smaller bits--you want a crumbly mash with some texture, not smooth potatoes. Add the frozen peas, stir, and allow the warmth of the potatoes to thaw the peas. Your filling is now ready.
- Now Assemble your samosas! Lay an egg roll wrapper in front of you so that a corner is facing toward you. Place 2 Tb or so of filling off-center in the wrapper. Now fold the wrapper over to cover the filling and press to seal the edges. If the edges are a bit dry, you can use a bit of water (a dab will do!) to help you seal the edges. Work your way through all of the wrappers, setting each filled samosa aside on wax paper, and covering them with a moist paper towel. Now you're ready to cook.
- Retrieve that skillet you were using, and add the remaining portion of oil. Heat this over medium. When it's ready, add 3-4 samosas, giving each samosa an inch or so of room in the skillet. Allow these to cook until golden brown on one side, then turn them over and do the same. Remove fried samosas to a plate lined with paper towels. Serve fresh, with or without a dipping sauce. Enjoy!