1/1 Photo of Simple Salsa Soup
Mrs Goodall's Note:
I am so excited about this soup! It is a chicken broth soup flavored and "textured" by a bright salsa puree and has mozzarella melting in the bottom of the bowl! It is extremely simple to make. If the directions seem long, it's only because I've given lots of notes. Very little chopping and very little cooking to this recipe. I think the melting mozzarella makes this broth soup special! What I like most about serving this low-cal soup is that it can be easily adjusted to meet the taste of your guests . There are garnishes that add the finishing touches to the soup and make this recipe fun for entertaining. You can add any of the garnishes to the soup immediately before serving if you prefer, but I would NOT add the sour cream. Even if you temper the sour cream, it makes the soup cloudy. I simply put a small dish of sour cream on the table for each guest. I dip the tip of my spoon in the sour cream and then take soup on to the spoon. I'm one of those "perfect bite" kind of people, that's why I love serving the soup with the garnishes!! Enjoy!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 ounces cherry tomatoes, grape tomatoes may be substituted (approximately 1 cup)
- 1 cup red onion, chopped into large pieces (about 1/4 of a large red onion)
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 teaspoon cumin, preferably ground fresh
- 1 tablespoon lime juice, fresh
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeded with ribs removed and chopped large
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth, preferably low-sodium (two 14 ounce cans)
- 1 teaspoon lime juice, fresh
- 1 tablespoon cumin, fresh ground
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, purchased in a ball NOT grated (NOTE! Do NOT add cheese to soup pot)
- 1Place broth into your favorite soup pot. Heat broth on medium.
- 2Meanwhile, in a food processor (if you don't have one, use a blender), chop the onion and garlic, using 1 second pulses until well chopped, but not mushy, about 8 pulses.
- 3Add tomatoes, jalapeños, cumin, 1 tablespoon lime juice and pulse until mixture is very fine, almost pureed.
- 4You should have just about 1 cup of salsa.
- 5Turn up heat under soup.
- 6Add shredded chicken to broth.
- 7When soup just starts to simmer add salsa mixture, 1 tsp lime juice, and 1 tablespoon cumin.
- 8Quickly stir and remove from heat. (You just want to incorporate the salsa, not cook it).
- 9Adjust seasonings to taste.
- 10To Serve:.
- 11Cut mozzarella into to half inch thick round slices and place slices in bottom of soup bowls.
- 12Ladle the simmering broth into bowls over the cheese.
- 13Let the soup sit for about 2 minutes, to allow the heat of the soup to soften the mozzarella.
- 14Serve with garnishes on the side.
- 15(If you choose to add the garnishes before serving, add them right before serving so as not to cook the cilantro or avocado. I do not recommend adding the sour cream ahead of time).
- 16Make sure to tell your guests that there is wonderful melted cheese on the bottom of the bowl!
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Simple Salsa Soup
Serving Size: 1 (429 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 328.6
- Calories from Fat 161
- Total Fat 17.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.8 g
- Cholesterol 84.1 mg
- Sodium 1069.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 31.2 g