Recipe by Snowbunny Andorra
Made this to go with a lamb patia on Friday. Very easy and makes a tasty side-dish for your curry. Don't use over-floury potatoes, because you need them to hold together. You can use fresh spinach instead, but I always have frozen in my freezer so it's easier for me.
- 8 medium potatoes, unpeeled and cut into cubes
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, deseeded and cut into strips
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 400 g frozen spinach
Directions See How It's Made
- Defrost the spinach and drain well. Squeeze it to get rid of as much moisture as possible.
- Meanwhile, boil the cubed potatoes until they are almost cooked through (but not falling apart). Drain well.
- Heat the oil in a large pan or wok and, when hot, add the potatoes and all the spices, stirring to coat everything.
- When the potatoes have started to crisp up slightly, add the garlic and tomatoes and stir for a few more seconds, then add the spinach.
- If using fresh spinach, you want it to be just wilted, or with frozen, warmed through.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as required then serve immediately.