I love soup and there is nothing better on a cold day then tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. I changed up the typical tomato soup by roasting my veggies to enhance the flavor. My kids love it (of course the like to dip their toasty warm cheese sandwiches in.) You can add your favorite toppings such as soup crackers or shredded cheese. If you want to make it vegetarian friendly you can substitute vegetable broth in place of the chicken broth, it tastes just as good.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare the onion, garlic, tomatoes, and carrots and place them on a cookie sheet. Cover with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place in the oven and roast for an hour.
- Remove the vegetables from the oven and transfer to a food processor. Puree until completely smooth (or transfer to a large pot and use an immersion blender.
- Transfer the pureed vegetables to a large pot and heat of medium low heat. Pour in the chicken broth and tomato sauce and season with basil.
- Add in one tablespoon of sugar and taste, if it still tastes slightly bitter from the tomato sauce slowly add in the other tablespoon of sugar, a little at a time, keep tasting to suit your tastes.
- Salt and pepper to taste and reduce heat and allow to simmer 15 minutes so the flavors meld.