Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is tender and tasty. Recipe source: USA Weekend
- 12 short ribs (about 3 1/2 pounds)
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1 large onion, cut into medium dice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 9.85 ml dried thyme leaves
- 44.37 ml flour
1 1/2 cups each
- red wine and chicken broth
- 411.06 g petite diced tomatoes
- Adjust rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees. Toss short ribs evenly with oil and a light sprinkling of salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile heat a heavy-bottomed Dutch oven or soup kettle over medium-high heat. Working in two batches to avoid overcrowding, add short ribs to hot pan. Cook each batch, turning only once, until well-browned on each side, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Drain all but 1 tablespoon of the fat from the pan. Add onion; sauté until lightly brown and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and thyme, sauté until fragrant, about a minute. Stir in flour, then wine, followed by chicken broth and tomatoes. Return short ribs to the pot and bring to a simmer.
- Place a sheet of heavy-duty foil over pot. Use a potholder to press down foil so that it touches stew. Seal foil completely around edges. Place lid snugly on pot. Place pot in oven and cook until ribs are fall-off-the- bone tender, about 1½ hours.