This recipe is from the "Cake Mix Doctor" book. The book is authored by Anne Bryn. Very quick and simple to make. Great for those that do not have the time to "slave" over a hot stove all day. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- shortening, for greasing the baking pans
- flour, for dusting the baking pans
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package German chocolate cake mix (with or without pudding)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 (1 ounce) bottle red food coloring
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2Move oven rack to center of oven.
- 3Preheat to 350 degrees.
- 4Grease two 9-inch round cake pans with shortening, then sprinkle with flour.
- 5Remove excess flour.
- 6Set pans aside.
- 7Place cake mix, sour cream, water, oil, food coloring, eggs, and vanilla in a large bowl.
- 8Mix with electric mixer on low for 1-2 minutes. Stop.
- 9Scrape sides of bowl.
- 10Mix on medium speed for 2-3 additional minutes.
- 11Divide batter among the prepared cake pans.
- 12Place pans in oven.
- 13Bake cakes about 25-30 minutes.
- 14Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack for 10-15 minutes.
- 15Run a dinner knife around the edge of each layer and turn each layer upside down onto a wire rack, then turn the cakes right side up on another rack.
- 16Cool completely, 30-45 minutes.
- 18Place cream cheese and butter in a large bowl.
- 19Mix with an electric mixer on low, about 30-45 seconds. Stop mixer.
- 20Add confectioner's sugar a little bit at a time, mixing on low speed until the sugar is well mixed, 1-2 minutes.
- 21Add the vanilla.
- 22Mix on medium speed until fluffy, about 1-2 more minutes.
- 23Place one cake layer, right side up, on a serving platter or cake plate.
- 24Spread top with the frosting.
- 25Put second layer, on top of first layer and frost the top and sides.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Simple Red Velvet Cake
Serving Size: 1 (116 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 411.5
- Calories from Fat 187
- Total Fat 20.8 g
- Saturated Fat 9.8 g
- Cholesterol 73.2 mg
- Sodium 385.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 44.6 g
- Protein 3.6 g