Montana Heart Song's Note:
I didn't have fresh green or red peppers to make Spanish Rice so I used a can of zucchini in Italian tomato Sauce Wow! With the spices it was great! You can use any leftover cubed cooked meat or serve plain. Great the next day also. This is a good make ahead dish and bake later. You will be surprised with the great flavor!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped basil
- 1 teaspoon salt or 1 teaspoon salt substitute
- 1 (15 ounce) can zucchini with Italian-style tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 4 -5 cups cooked white rice
- 1 -2 cup cooked cubed pork (optional) or 1 -2 cup beef (optional) or 1 -2 cup venison (optional) or 1 -2 cup elk meat (optional) or 1 -2 cup buffalo (optional)
- Pam cooking spray
- aluminum foil
- 1In small mixing bowl, add the first seven ingredients.
- 2In a large mixing bowl pour the zucchini and sauce. Chop the zucchini in one inch pices.
- 3Add the tomato sauce, rice and meat, if desired.
- 4Mix gently.
- 5With a rubber spatula pour out the onion and spice mixture and mix in slowly so it is absorbed throughout the dish.
- 6Preheat oven to 375*.
- 7Spray Pam in a glass flat pyrex dish.
- 8Spread the rice evenly.
- 9Cover with foil.
- 10Bake 40-45 minutes.
- 11Note: If chilled before baking, bake another 15 minutes.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Simple Red Rice With/Without Meat
Serving Size: 1 (305 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 212.6
- Calories from Fat 5
- Total Fat 0.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1036.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 5.0 g