Chicken and veggies in a thick curry sauce, served over rice. My boyfriend is super-picky and even he loves this recipe! A friend of mine learned it from her Japanese tutor and taught it to me. The curry sauce mix isn't recognized by Recipezaar; I found it in an Asian market, under the brand S&B Golden Curry Sauce Mix, but I've also seen it at Wal-marts in my area. If all else fails, you can also order it on Amazon.com, you'll need at least a 3.5 oz package.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Chop up the chicken into bite-sized cubes. Tenderloins are a smaller, thinner cut of chicken and are easier to cut up.
- 2Wash the vegetables. Peel the potatoes, and the carrots if you wish. Slice the potatoes, carrots, and onion into bite-sized pieces as well. Finely dice the garlic.
- 3Now is a good time to start making the rice. Cook according to directions on the package. A rice cooker is great because it'll keep the rice warm while the curry cooks.
- 4Put vegetable oil in a deep pan (a pasta pot or dutch-oven-style saucepan works well) and heat over a medium flame. Add chicken, onions, and garlic and sautee in oil until the chicken is lightly browned.
- 5Add carrots and potatoes, continue to stir in oil for 3-4 minutes.
- 6Now add the water, enough to cover all the ingredients in the pan (I've never measured it out, but it should be about 3-4 cups).
- 7Bring water to a boil, then reduce heat and allow to cook for 5-10 minutes, this helps soften the vegetables.
- 8Remove pan from heat, and add the curry sauce mix. Break the block into four pieces and scatter evenly around the pan, stirring until the blocks have completely melted. The water will thicken dramatically, turning into a brown sauce with a stew-like consistency.
- 9If you want to keep the curry warm, you can keep it on a very low flame (the lowest setting on your stovetop), just remember to stir it occasionally so it won't stick.
- 10Serve over rice and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Simple & Quick Japanese Curry
Serving Size: 1 (439 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 518.4
- Calories from Fat 82
- Total Fat 9.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 65.8 mg
- Sodium 106.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 32.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: