Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
This vegan recipe is the simplest Puttanesca Sauce I've found. From Dom DeLuise, who attributes it to Caterina Valente. Good with vermicelli.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (28 ounce) canswhole Italian plum tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) canwhole pitted black olives, drained
- 4 tablespoons capers, drained
- 6 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- Heat oil and saute garlic until softened and golden brown.
- Add tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until sauce has thickened.
This was a well rounded and flavorful sauce with few ingredients. Next time I will use diced tomatoes so I won't have to spend so much time mashing them against the side of the pot.
Awesome and so easy. The sauce is rich and packed with flavor. The olives were rough chopped . The cooked sauce was used to make pizza. Something I will be making again. Made for Super Sauces in Culinary Quest 2014.
A super tasty and rich sauce. The combo addtion of olives, capers and pepper flakes makes this sauce spicy and "different". I confess I added more pepper flakes as I wanted a little hot sauce; this only for personal choice..Thanks a lot my family loves tomatoes sauces and love variations on them, Made for Culinary Quest 2014