Prep 15 mins
Cook 9 hrs
This is easy to make and great for Thanksgiving dessert! (Woman's Day) (time includes the refrigeration)
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 8 large eggs
- 2 (12 ounce) cans evaporated milk
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Place a roasting pan or 9x13 pan in oven; fill halfway with water. Heat oven to 325°F Have a 9x5x3 loaf pan ready.
- Heat 1/2 cup sugar in a heavy-bottom 1 qt saucepan over medium heat about 5 minutes, swirling pan occasionally, until sugar melts and turns golden brown. Immediately pour into loaf pan so caramel covers bottom completely.
- Whisk eggs in a large bowl until well blended. Whisk in remaining 3/4 cup sugar, the evaporated milk, pumpkin, vanilla, pumpkin pie spice and salt just until blended. Pour into loaf pan (you may hear the caramel cracking -- that's ok).
- Carefully set in middle of roasting pan in oven.
- Bake 1 hr, 10 minutes or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean. Remove pan to a wire rack; cool completely. Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours.
- To serve, run a thin, sharp knife around the edge of the custard. Place an inverted serving plate over the pan and, holding pan and plate together, carefully invert. Lift pan, allowing syrup to run onto the plate. Cover loosely and refrigerate until ready to eat.
This was a simple recipe and absolutely delicious. The only thing I changed, was putting it in a round baking dish.