Prep 1 hr
Cook 50 mins
This was my first attempt at focaccia, several years ago, and it worked out well. I've made it several times since then. Having come across it again whilst browsing my cookbooks, I thought that you might like to try it! After it is baked , although it's great just as it is, try topping it with some fresh baby spinach or rocket (arugula) leaves. and shavings of Parmesan cheese. Be sure to slice the potatoes for the topping very thinly, they will cook on top of the focaccia. From : The Vegetarian Kitchen: Susan Gardner
- In a large bowl, combine the mashed potatoes, flour, yeast, salt and 1 tbsp of olive oil, and mix in enough water to form a soft dough (you may not need all the water).
- Knead lightly, cover with plastic wrap, and leave to rise for about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4.
- Lightly oil a large baking tray.
- Place the dough in the middle, and work it out to the edges to form a square or rectangle.
- Top the dough with the uncooked potato slices and the rosemary, season with salt and pepper, and drizzle with the remaining oil.
- Bake for 50 minutes, covering if the focaccia is getting too brown.
We very much enjoyed this bread. It has a lovely soft and lightly chewy texture and the topping is yummy. We actually used a couple of pieces of this under some scrambled ground beef mixed with leftover beef gravy and made it tonight's main meal with a side salad. Looking to enjoying the rest of it. Made for For Your Consideration. :D
I could not sleep last night so I started making this at around 4AM. Even though I was not quite with it, I could not screw this up. Instead of pulling out the mandoline, I used the vegetable peeler to peel off strips of potato. These worked beautifully with the fresh rosemary and I also added some fresh lemon thyme. I made half the recipe, which worked perfectly in my tabletop convection oven. Wonderful with my scrambled eggs this morning.
GREAT TASTING FOCACCIA, & I thoroughly enjoyed making your recipe! The only change I made was to use lemon pepper instead of the usual S&P, but that's no biggie! This was made just for the 2 of us, but another time I'd love to share this with company ~ Definitely a keeper recipe! [Made & reviewed for the VIP chef in the Vegetarian/Vegan Recipe Swap 19]