From "The Best International Recipes" by America's Test Kitchen '07.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the polenta
- 6 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups polenta (or evenly coarse medium or coarse-ground cornmeal)
- 1 1/2 ounces parmesan cheese, grated (about 3/4 cup)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into large chunks
- ground black pepper
For the tomatoes and mozzarella
- 1For the polenta:.
- 2Bring water to a boil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat.
- 3Once boiling, add 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and pour the polenta into the water in a very slow stream from a measuring cup, while stirring in a circular motion with a wooden spoon. Make sure to scrape the bottom and corners of the pot well.
- 4Reduce the heat to the lowest setting and cover. Vigorously stir the polenta once every 5 minutes, making sure to scrape clean the bottom and corners of the pot.
- 5Continue cooking until the polenta has lost its raw cornmeal taste and becomes soft and smooth, about 30 minutes. Stir in the Parmesan and butter and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 6For the tomatoes and mozzarella:.
- 7During the final 5 minute of cooking the polenta, heat the oil, garlic, pepper flakes and sugar in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until fragrant and sizzling (about 1 min.).
- 8Stir in the tomatoes and cook until they just begin to wilt, about 1 min.; season with salt and pepper to taste and set skillet off the heat.
- 9Spoon the polenta into the individual serving bowls and top with the mozzarella.
- 10Spoon the tomato mixture with any accumulated juices over the top of the served polenta, and sprinkle with basil before serving.
Browse Our Top European Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All European Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Simple Polenta With Sauteed Cherry Tomatoes and Fresh Mozzarella
Serving Size: 1 (419 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 535.0
- Calories from Fat 299
- Total Fat 33.2 g
- Saturated Fat 14.6 g
- Cholesterol 65.8 mg
- Sodium 461.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 18.8 g