Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Make this easy and flavorful recipe ahead of time for ready-to-use chicken for salads and wraps.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 (16 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chicken flavored bullion cube
- 1 cup carrot, diced into large pieces
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 3-4-inch sticks
- 1⁄2 large onion, diced into large pieces
- 1⁄2 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 bay leaves
- place chicken in a stockpot or pan large enough for the chicken and other ingreedients to be completely covered with liquid.
- place carrots, celery, and onion around chicken in pot.
- combine chicken broth, bullion, and enough water to cover veggies and chicken in pot.
- add herbs (red pepper flakes, garlic powser, celery seed, bay leaves and seasonal fresh herbs).
- bring to a rolling simmer, reduce heat and simmer gently 1 hour.
- remove chicken from liquid, set aside to cool.
- increase heat to rolling boil for ten minutes or until reduced to desired thickness.
- remove from heat and strain broth into jar. Broth can be stored in refrigerator for up to one week, or in the freezer indefinitely.
- Using two forks, shred chicken into bite-sized pieces. Use in salads, wraps and sandwiches, or pastas.
This wasn't very flavorful and 1 hour is way too long for 1lb of chciken breast. Sorry, not a favorite.
This turned out great. The chicken has so much more flavor than any other poached chicken I've made before. Thanks so much for posting.
This was really good and easy to do. I tripled the recipe so I could put some in the freezer. I ended up making two batches. The first batch I followed as written other then I used black pepper instead of red pepper flakes. As written, the chicken was really spicy for me. On the second batch I halved the pepper and I thought it was perfect. Great flavorful chicken.