This recipe has been passed around my family for generations. We are a German family and we love this recipe. I haven't tried it with other fruit so I don't know if it will come out right. If you like you can cut down the sugar but it will affect the taste. One of my favorite features of this cake is the crumbly topping.
- Beat egg whites until stiff. Cream egg yolks and sugar together in separate.
- bowl. Gradually stir in flour & baking powder. Add beaten egg whites.
- Pour into greased and floured pan and lightly brown for 10 minutes until top.
- of batters is a bit firm. Split plums in half and lay peel side down on top.
- of batter.
- Cream butter and sugar together for topping, add in flour. Sprinkle on top.
- of plums until evenly covered.
- Bake at 325 about 45-60 minutes until lightly golden brown. If using a gluten free all purpose baking mix you might need to bake it longer (1hr 15 min?).