A Shadows simple original soup made with counrty ham bone leftover from a 13 pound Smithsfield country cured ham.
- Place ham bone in a 12 quart soup pan.
- Add the water, bay leaves, celery seed, mustard seed, and chopped onion.
- Bring to a boil.
- Boil for about an hour, lower heat to a simmer.
- Add red pepper flakes.
- Cover and continue to simmer for an addition 17 hours.
- Skim any skum from top as simmering progresses.
- Meanwhile place pinto beans in a large pan and cover with water .
- Soak beans over night or at least 8 hours.
- Remove lid from ham broth.
- Add beans and enough water to bring back up to starting volume of liquid.
- Bring back to a boil.
- Simmer uncovered for 2 hours.