Recipe by BeachGirl
For salads, cut into julienne strips and sprinkle on top. These beets are a colorful and delicious side dish. I pack these in holiday gift baskets, and everyone enjoys receiving this delicious gift. I always double or triple the recipe and save at least a dozen jars for my family to enjoy throughout the year.
- 10 (14 1/2 ounce) canssliced beets, drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups distilled white vinegar, 5% acidity
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
Directions See How It's Made
- Put sugar, water, vinegar and spices in large pot.
- Bring to boil.
- Add drained beets to pot, cover, and return to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pack beets in hot sterilized pint jars.
- Pour hot liquid into jars, leaving 1/4-inch headroom.
- Use a sterilized spoon handle to remove any air bubbles.
- Seal with hot, sterilized lids.
- Put jars into a hot water bath with water covering the top of the jars by 1-2 inches.
- Cover, bring water bath to a boil and reduce heat to simmer.
- Simmer in water bath for 30 minutes.
- Remove jars from water and place on clean dish towel to cool.
- When jars are completely cooled the lids should be slightly concave.
- If any jars do not seal, refrigerate them.
- Refrigerated, they will keep for several months.
- Chill before serving.