1/10 Photos of Simple Perfect Pot Roast
5 hrs 20 mins
This is the Cook's Illustrated recipe, but it tastes exactly like Mom's recipe. She used to put it in the oven before we went to church, and then served it with hot rolls and a crisp salad.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 boneless chuck roast (about 3 1/2 lbs)
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small carrot, chopped
- 1 small celery rib, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup canned low sodium beef broth
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 -1 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 300°F.
- 2Thoroughly pat roast dry with paper towels; sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- 3Heat oil in large heavy-bottomed Dutch oven over medium high heat until shimmering but not smoking.
- 4Brown roast thoroughly on all sides, reducing heat if fat begins to smoke, 8- 10 minutes.
- 5Transfer roast to a large plate; set aside.
- 6Reduce heat to medium; add onion, carrot, and celery to pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, 6- 8 minutes.
- 7Add garlic and sugar; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- 8Add chicken and beef broths and thyme, scraping bottom of pan with wooden spoon to loosen browned bits.
- 9Return roast and any accumulated juices to pot; add enough water to come halfway up sides of roast.
- 10Bring liquid to simmer over medium heat, then cover tightly and transfer pot to oven.
- 11Cook, turning roast every 30 minutes until fully tender and meat fork slips in and out of meat very easily (3 1/2- 4 hours).
- 12Transfer roast to carving board, tent with foil to keep warm.
- 13Allow liquid in pot to settle about 5 minutes, then use wide spoon to skim fat off surface; discard thyme sprig.
- 14Boil over high heat until reduced to about 1 1/2 cups, about 8 minutes.
- 15Add red wine and reduce again to 1 1/2 cups, about 2 minutes.
- 16Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 17Cut meat into 1/2 inch slices, or pull apart in pieces; transfer meat to warmed serving platter and pour about 1/2 cup sauce over meat.
- 18Serve, passing remaining sauce.
- 19Note: Can add small red potatoes and sliced carrots and/or parsnips about 45 minutes before roast is finished.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Simple Perfect Pot Roast
Serving Size: 1 (299 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 445.3
- Calories from Fat 196
- Total Fat 21.8 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 158.4 mg
- Sodium 228.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 52.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: