Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Create this new take on an old classic, and explore why many chefs are turning to fish sauce as their secret ingredient. While fish sauce may be a surprising choice in an Italian-inspired entrée, just a couple of tablespoons can add smooth and savoury taste to complete your pasta. A gluten and lactose free ingredient, fish sauce can also substitute for pantry staples like soy sauce and salt
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely diced4
- 1 celery, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon club house prepared minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (796 ml) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons club house basil leaves
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons thai kitchen fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons club house parsley flakes
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, cook ground beef until no longer pink, crumbling with a spoon. Remove beef from pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add onion, carrot and celery. Cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Return beef to pan. Add tomato paste and stir well. Add crushed tomatoes, basil, milk and water. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer sauce for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add fish sauce, parsley, salt and pepper. Stir well. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Serve over cooked pasta with freshly grated parmesan.
- Explore more recipes at flavour.ca.