- 25 ml olive oil (for frying)
- 3 medium onions, chopped (600g)
- 3 large stick celery, chopped (150g)
- 4 -5 parsnips, peeled and chopped (500g)
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped (350g)
- 3 -5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground fenugreek
- 1 teaspoon English mustard powder
- 1 small handful parsley, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 liters vegetable stock (two stockpot or cubes in hot water)
- 250 ml skim milk
Directions See How It's Made
- on a medium-hot heat in a large pan soften the onions until they are just starting to colour.
- add the celery and soften (I don't add these before as they hold a lot of water which tends to stop the onions colouring).
- add the parsnip and soften.
- add the garlic, pepper, fenugreek, mustard and salt and cook together for a minute or so.
- add the stock and the potato (I don't add the potato until now as it tends to stick and burn).
- cook on the medium-hot heat cook until all is soft keep giving it an occasional stir (about 20-30minutes).
- add the parsley and blend (I use a stick blender, you can use a blending method of your choice).
- add the milk and cook together for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot.