Recipe by Jen in Victoria, BC
This is great over pork or chicken that needs a little extra something. Modified from The Joy of Cooking.
- 1 tablespoon butter (or oil or meat drippings)
- 1⁄2 cup shallot, minced
- 2⁄3 cup chicken broth
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard (optional)
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley (or thyme or rosemary)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat butter in frying pan over medium heat.
- Add shallots, cooking until softened but not browned.
- Turn the heat to medium high and add the chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil, then add dijon, vinegar, bay leaves, salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly reduced and thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Add cream and reduce another 1-2 minutes.
- Strain sauce, if desired, and return to pan.
- Add in the herbs and swirl in butter.