Recipe by DrGaellon
This uses just pork loin and sausage, but you could add chicken, shrimp or other seafood quite easily. Adapted from a recipe by my friend Cheryl. http://bit.ly/aNlLqc
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 yellow onions or 1⁄2 sweet onion, diced
- 1 lb lean pork loin, diced
- 1⁄2 lb kielbasa or 1⁄2 lb smoked sausage, diced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 (28 ounce) can stewed tomatoes or 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes or 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup long grain rice, uncooked
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup cooking sherry
- 1 pinch saffron thread
- 1 cup frozen peas (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet with a lid, heat the oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onion and saute until limp, 3-5 minutes.
- Add pork cubes and cook until browned, another 5 minutes. Add sausage and garlic and cook 1-2 minutes, until hot.
- Add tomatoes, rice and water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook 20 minutes. Add more water if it begins to look dry before the rice is cooked.
- Meanwhile, heat the sherry in the microwave until steaming but not boiling. Add the saffron and let steep while the rice cooks. When the rice is tender and most of the liquid is gone, add the sherry (with the saffron) and peas, and stir well. Turn off heat and let stand until peas are heated through, about 10 minutes.