Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Make and share this Simple Orzo Pilaf recipe from Food.com.
- 828.06 ml low sodium chicken broth (I love SwansonÃ s Natural Goodness 33% Less Sodium Broth)
- 453.59 g orzo pasta (usually comes in little bags or boxes by the pasta)
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 236.59 ml parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1.23 ml fresh ground black pepper
- In a large saucepan, bring the broth to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Stir in the orzo and reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Simmer the orzo and broth uncovered, stirring now and then to prevent sticking on the bottom of the pot, about 8-10 minutes, until the orzo is tender. The orzo mixture should be thick and syrupy when it is finished cooking – not dry. If it seems as though the orzo isn’t finished cooking but looks dry, add 1/4 cup chicken broth and continue to cook.
- When the orzo is tender, remove the pot from the heat.
- Stir in the green onions and cheese.
- Add the pepper and additional salt to taste, if needed.
- Garnish with additional green onions and serve immediately!
- She states "The dish has a tendency to become a bit dry the longer it sits so make haste and serve as quickly as can be!".
I liked this but no one else in my family did. I followed the recipe as written other then I used 32 ounces of chicken broth.