Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Ideal for a picnic!
- 1 cup sifted plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 8 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2 ounces butter
- 2 cups grated cheese (cheddar is good)
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
- --------For Pastry base----------.
- Mix together and pat into a medium pie dish.
- Simmer onions in melted butter just until soft, season and leave to cool.
- Place on top of pastry.
- Mix together egg and cream and pour over onions.
- Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven 425°F (220°C) for 20-25 minutes.
- I serve it with with a tomato and basil salad with a balsamic vinigar dressing and tiny new potatoes.
Made it last night (Sunday) and my husband and I ate it for lunch. Absolutely delicious! (I used Marie Callender's pie shell.)
Hope after 8 years Norahs Girl is still around to see my review on this...I loved it!!!! It was easy to make and very yummy...think next time I'll cut back one onion and double up on the egg and heavy cream.