Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
If you like spinach like I do then you should really enjoy this recipe! The nutmeg adds a terrific flavour to this as well. It's easy to make and would be great served with some crunchy bread. This comes from Recipe Goldmine. Enjoy!
- 2 lbs fresh spinach (or frozen, chopped spinach)
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 eggs, hardboiled and sliced
- Wash spinach thoroughly; drain and chop coarsely. (If you're using frozen spinach, defrost it and drain thoroughly.).
- Place a sieve or strainer over a large bowl; set aside.
- In a large saucepan or soup pot, bring broth to a boil. Add spinach. Simmer 8 minutes, then pour into sieve or strainer, catching the stock in the bowl. Press the spinach with a spoon to remove as much liquid as possible. Set the stock aside. Chop the spinach very fine.
- Melt the butter in the saucepan or soup pot. Remove pan from heat and stir in the flour. Using a whisk, slowly add the hot broth, mixing well. Return pan to heat and bring broth to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Add spinach, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Cover pan, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve soup garnished with slices of hard-boiled egg.
Very good, perfect on a gloomy day. I really enjoyed the nutmeg in this.