Prep 2 mins
Cook 0 mins
-This is my variation of a recipe that came with my bread machine. A family favorite. A simple, lightly sweetened, fluffy, white bread dough recipe for the bread machine. Can be used for clover leaf rolls, cinnamon rolls, sandwich bread, or a dinner loaf. Recipe makes 2 - 1 lb loaves. Could probably be easily converted to hand method, or for use with a stand mixer.
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup melted margarine
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 1⁄2 cups bread flour
- 3 teaspoons yeast
- warm milk or melted butter
- * ALL ingredients must be at or slightly above room temperature*.
- Break the egg into a glass measuring cup, then add enough room temperature water to total 1 1/2 cups.
- Put egg mixture and other ingredients into the bread machine in the order listed, forming a shallow well in the center for the yeast. (egg/water mixture, margarine, sugar, salt, flour, yeast).
- Program your machine to Dough Cycle.
- *I DO NOT recommend baking this in your machine - the large amount of yeast will cause your pan to overflow and make a mess of your machine.
- Check it periodically during the first kneading/mixing; scrape the sides of your pan with a rubber spatula if needed. It should form a neat ball of dough in the pan. If the dough seems too dry, add a few table spoons water. If it seems too wet/sticky, add a few table spoons flour.
- Lift the lid on the machine about 20-30 minutes before the cycle completes so the rising dough will not stick to it.
- When the dough cycle is complete:.
- Clover Leaf Rolls (makes 16): Divide dough into 48 small round balls. In oiled muffin pans, place 3 balls in each cup in a clover pattern. Brush the tops with warm milk or butter. Cover and allow 30 minutes to rise. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. Allow rolls to cool 20 min, turn out into bread basket and serve warm.
- Cinnamon Rolls: Roll dough into rough rectangle 1/4 inch thick. Sprinkle with Cinnamon, Sugar, Walnuts, Raisins, or Pumpkin Pie Filling (or whatever else your heart desires). Roll up jelly-roll style. Cut into 1/2 inch slices ( dough can be refrigerated to make it easier to slice). Arrange on oiled cookie sheets. Brush with warm milk or melted butter. Allow 30 minutes to rise (will take longer if dough was refrigerated). Bake at 350 for 20-25 minute Allow rolls to cool 20 min, remove from pans with a spatula onto a clean serving dish and serve warm.
- Sandwich Bread: Divide dough into two oiled 1 lb loaf pans. Brush with warm milk or melted butter. Allow 30 minutes to rise. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. Allow loaves to cool 20 minutes, turn out onto cooling racks, and then cool completely before slicing.
- Dinner Loaf: Form a rough loaf on an oiled cookie sheet. Brush with warm milk or melted butter. Allow 30 minutes to rise. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. Allow loaf to cool 30 minutes, remove to a cutting board, then slice and enjoy at the dinner table. Serve with your favorite spread.
- I have also made hot dog and hamburger buns from this recipe - but you get the idea. ENJOY!