Recipe by Bungy
This is a simple, lovely dahl using brown rice, lentils, split peas and green peas. I found this recipe in an old weight loss book and adapted it for my own use. To make meal vegan, just omit the yoghurt garnish.
Top Review by richardlouisecurtis
Great simple receipe, the whole family loved it. I thought it was a bit thin so i reduced it for a further 15 minutes. We left out the rice and made chappatis instead. Brilliant!!
- 150 g brown rice
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 100 g dry split yellow peas (or 250g cooked)
- 100 g dried red lentils (or 250g cooked)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 -2 teaspoon chili sauce (to taste)
- 300 g frozen green peas
- 125 ml low-fat plain yogurt (optional)
- 3 1⁄2 cups water (for cooking)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring 1 1/2 cups water to boil in a medium sized saucepan.
- Add rice, reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Bring 2 cups water to the boil, add dried split peas and boil for 10 minutes.
- Add lentils and boil for further 10 minutes, then drain and add to rice mixture.
- Prepare onions and garlic and place in a saucepan with all of the spices and a little of the stock (the pan just vacated by the peas and lentils is fine). Cook until transparent.
- Add remainder of stock to rice & pulses and simmer gently for 20 minutes If mixture dries out add water as required.
- Add green peas and cook a further 5 mins until heated through.
- Divide into 4 bowls and serve with 2 tablespoons yoghurt on each.