Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a simple, lovely dahl using brown rice, lentils, split peas and green peas. I found this recipe in an old weight loss book and adapted it for my own use. To make meal vegan, just omit the yoghurt garnish.
- 150 g brown rice
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 100 g dry split yellow peas (or 250g cooked)
- 100 g dried red lentils (or 250g cooked)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 -2 teaspoon chili sauce (to taste)
- 300 g frozen green peas
- 125 ml low-fat plain yogurt (optional)
- 3 1⁄2 cups water (for cooking)
- Bring 1 1/2 cups water to boil in a medium sized saucepan.
- Add rice, reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Bring 2 cups water to the boil, add dried split peas and boil for 10 minutes.
- Add lentils and boil for further 10 minutes, then drain and add to rice mixture.
- Prepare onions and garlic and place in a saucepan with all of the spices and a little of the stock (the pan just vacated by the peas and lentils is fine). Cook until transparent.
- Add remainder of stock to rice & pulses and simmer gently for 20 minutes If mixture dries out add water as required.
- Add green peas and cook a further 5 mins until heated through.
- Divide into 4 bowls and serve with 2 tablespoons yoghurt on each.
Great simple receipe, the whole family loved it. I thought it was a bit thin so i reduced it for a further 15 minutes. We left out the rice and made chappatis instead. Brilliant!!