Recipe by Halcyon Eve
You can vary the kinds of miso you use, or combine different kinds. In fact, you can vary just about everything with this recipe! I usually aim for 2 main ingredients plus a garnish, in addition to the dashi and miso. Some other ingredients I especially like include thinly sliced carrot or daikon, cut into seasonally-appropriate shapes with mini-cookie cutters (like flowers or leaves), thinly sliced mushrooms, enoki-take mushrooms, wheat gluten (available in small balls or other shapes at Asian groceries), and sansho pepper. The wakame, tofu, and green onions are our favorite, though.
Top Review by Catta
There are about a hundred miso soup recipes on this site, and I've tried a lot of them, but yours is the best. It's so easy to follow and produces great results. You had very clear directions about each part of the process, and a couple of helpful tips. My favorite was the tip about mixing the miso with a small amount of broth before putting it in the cooking pot. That is so much easier than putting the miso directly into the pot and trying to make sure that it is all blended. Thanks so much for this recipe! It's the one I'll be using from now on.
- 709.77 ml water
- 4.92 ml instant dashi stock (granules)
- 14.79-29.58 ml miso (I like a mix of about 4 parts red to 1 part white)
- 29.58-44.37 ml dried wakame seaweed (sea vegetable)
- 118.29 ml diced tofu (I like kinugoshi, silken tofu)
- 29.58-59.16 ml very thinly sliced green onions
Directions See How It's Made
- Place water and dashi granules in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and stir until dashi is dissolved.
- Add wakame and simmer until wakame is rehydrated (about 3-5 minutes).
- Meanwhile, place tofu in 4 small bowls (preferably Japanese soup bowls that have lids).
- When wakame is tender, remove soup from heat. Place miso into a small, shallow bowl or dish and add a small amount of broth. Blend into the miso. Repeat until miso mixture is somewhat runny and well mixed with the broth.
- Add miso to soup and stir. Return to heat briefly just until very hot (do not boil miso).
- Pour over tofu in bowls, garnish with green onion, cover and serve immediately. Miso soup should be served very hot.